We’re looking for a hands-on Editorial Director with an exceptional knowledge of social media to join our growing team of specialists to work on some of the biggest brands in the world.
This role requires someone with the core qualities of creativity, strategic-thinking and leadership. You will know the power of a story and how to use this to engage audiences, especially on social media.
You will predominantly work on a leading supermarket brand (experience in the UK grocery market or with FMCG brands an advantage), with a focus on social strategy, campaign development, content solutions and community management.
This role will require the ability to manage multiple stakeholders across a wide-ranging agency and client network on a daily basis. As such you’ll be adept at directing numerous workstreams at speed effectively through the teams. You’ll also be able to do this while influencing stakeholders on key campaign decision-making, leaning on not just expertise in social media and digital publishing, but an understanding of the wider channel ecosystem too (PR, OOH and in-store).
You will be able to inspire, motivate and manage a large team to deliver against the strategic vision, as well as share with them what success looks like. You will be used to a fast turnaround and a collaborative approach, working alongside the client teams to deliver award-winning work.
The successful candidate will also be expected to lead pitches for new clients and work with the Head of Editorial to define new ways of working, processes and products that will make the department run more efficiently.
This role is a 14 month fixed-term contract.
What you are expected to deliver:
- Takes the lead role in defining the creative and strategic future of multiple brands
- Directs team to deliver against the client’s vision and agency’s strategic plan
- Where necessary, oversees, subs, proofs, edits, and signs off best-in-class copy and content laydowns produced by writers and editors within their team
- Ensures that the community management done across their team aligns with the wider business objectives as well as each brands’ strategic positioning
- Guardianship of clients’ tone of voice and the quality of content output
- Regularly presents agency work to clients
- Proactively identifies opportunities to expand client’s social presence
- Pitches for new business
- Workshops and tissues content ideas with client
- Builds and maintains strong client relationships that generate extra business for the agency
- Manages the day-to-day operation of a team of editors and writers, including taking responsibility to ensure they have up-to-date information relating to the industry, their clients, and platforms to do their work effectively
- Produces case studies that demonstrate editorial excellence in the work they have developed
- Actively seeks training opportunities for their team to improve their core skills
What skills you need:
- Able to effectively scope work for a team of editors and writers and stay on top of all resourcing issues, including a detailed knowledge of how each account impacts wider budgeting issues for the business
- Knowledge sharing within the department
- Apply cross-portfolio learnings to improve all their brands’ content
- In depth understanding of how to use analytics & data to inform content creation
- In depth knowledge of platforms and platform updates
- Flawless editing & proofing skills
- Flawless sub-editing skills
- Experienced at storyboarding & building narrative structure for longer-form edits
- Experience in managing at least four team members
- Unshakeable confidence in attending and presenting in client-facing meetings
- In depth knowledge of how to orchestrate the relationships between owned, earned and paid media
- Years of experience in measuring the impact of work post-publication
- Viewed by the client as the point of escalation for editorial account management
- Produces succession plans based on developing and maximising internal talent
What qualities we are looking for:
- Ability to work well under pressure
- Ability to lead by example
- Inspirational for the writers and editors who report into you
- Ability to work quickly and to tight deadlines
- Confident at pitching and presenting to clients
- Excellent organisational skills
- Sets themselves the highest editorial standards
- Cultural awareness and sensitivity
- Collaborates effectively with other departments to create the very best work
- Accountability for the editorial integrity and quality of their teams’ work
A minimum of 10 years’ experience with a proven publishing, journalism and/or marketing background. Seven years experience working within social media.
Why join our team?
- 23 days holiday, increasing by one day for each year of service
- Private Medical Insurance
- Company pension scheme
- Group Income Protection
- Optional Dental Insurance
- Staff training programme
- CSR Day
- Cycle-to-work scheme
- Season ticket loan scheme
- Long Service Awards - at 3, 5 & 10 years
- Optional sabbaticals after 3 and 5 years
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Staff events: yoga, language lessons, monthly nail bar, wellness check-ups onsite, basketball & squash court for hire
- Summer hours
- Free breakfast