We Are Social’s Monday Mashup #381
Just like past generations always felt like they had one novel in them, young people nowadays have a new creative milestone they can reach – the Snapchat Filter. Snapchat has democratised the software that lets you create a Lens. Could YOU design the next dancing hotdog? Dare to dream.
Instagram lets users follow hashtags
Instagram has introduced a brand new way to explore a hashtag. Previously users could only click through a hashtag on a post, or search for a specific tag in the Explore section of the app. Now though, you can actually follow one, just like you would follow your ex-boyfriend’s ex-girlfriend or Dom from Love Island for instance. Cue getting a constant stream of #foodporn or #dogsofinstagram – YAS!
There’s a raft of Christmas changes for Facebook
Facebook is sneaking in a few final updates before the end of year, it really is TOO kind! Here’s a rundown of what to expect:
1. Poking is a thing again – Although it’s never gone away, Facebook has moved the Poke button to a more prominent position near the message button. So watch out for giving or receiving accidental festive Pokes. They are also considering other actions like winks, waves, high-fives or hugs.
2. Snooze button your social – Now you’ll be able to press ‘snooze’ on your newsfeed and unfollow certain people or posts for 30 days. If only there was an option to unfollow all my friends, for all of eternity.
3. Choose whether to post on profile of newsfeed – An eagle-eyed social media hound has spotted that Facebook is testing a setting which lets users choose whether to post onto their newsfeed or just onto their profile. A change made to encourage more sharing.
4. Privacy settings on comments is tested – A handful of users have been able to test changing the privacy settings on individual comments under posts. Great to protect your dignity if you’re a bit of a moron!
5. RIP Ticker – For those of you that didn’t know the Ticker while it was alive; the Facebook Ticker is a side bar which shows real-time friend activity a.k.a. the only way to view what’s actually happening in chronological order. It has been quietly taken round the back and shot. Even if you select ‘recent view’ for your newsfeed, you have to re-select it every time you log in. So the message here is – give up your independent thinking and let Facebook decide, ok?
6. Facebook Watch creators get a boost – The newsfeed ranking is getting updated to prioritise publishers and other video creators that are making shows for its new video section, Watch. It has also confirmed that it will be using Watch as a testing ground for pre-rolls.
A new WhatsApp ad product is launched for Facebook
A new ad format is being launched on Facebook which lets you directly message a brand on WhatsApp. Users will be able to call or message with just one click of a button after seeing the ad.
Twitter makes threads official and shows video views
Twitter has built in a feature which now lets users officially do Twitter threads as opposed to, well, just tweeting again and again and again. It kind of takes the edge off of the thrill of a thread. Like when your mum starts doing something and that is the last day you ever wear a choker – athankyou. You can also now see how many views a video has had to see if it’s OFFICIALLY worth your time.
Now you can play a Last Jedi Instant Game on Facebook
… If you’re a total nerd. lol!