Mental Health Awareness Month
May is Mental Health Awareness Month – and this year’s theme was: Take Some Time To Look Around, Look Within. The month’s objective is to spread the word that mental health is something everyone should care about. It’s a time to share information, stories, and resources – and this year, focus on how our surroundings impact our mental health.
On World Mental Health Day last year (October 10th), we sent out a survey asking our US team of social media experts to answer a few questions around mental health advocacy across social. We then shared a list of accounts that bring us joy, provide calmness, inspire us, and/or serve as mental health resources in our daily lives.
Since we received such a great response to last year’s list, we’re back with an extension – to celebrate and honor Mental Health Awareness Month beyond the month of May. We know we aren’t mental health experts – but we do understand the impact social media has today, and the effects it can have on our overall mental health.
Our team has devised a list of 14 accounts of illustrators, therapists, motivational speakers, and more. We hope this list can serve as a resource for those interested, and an uplifting addition to your everyday scrolling:
1. @MadeByNelson – An illustrator who creates really cute motivational graphics
2. @wonder_doodles – An Asian American artist and licensed therapist sharing her doodles
3. @justfrogetaboutit – A happiness project, one frog at a time
4. @makesureyourfriendsareokay – Building a community that encourages you to have meaningful discussions with people you care about
5. @browngirltherapy – The first (and largest) mental health community for all children of immigrants
6. @gracie_norton – A certified nutritional therapist practitioner and digital content creator sharing her wellness journey and life
7. @yung_pueblo – Diego Perez is a poet and philosopher also known as Yung Pueblo, meaning ‘young people’. It serves to remind him of his Ecuadorian roots and his experiences in activism – and that the collective of humanity is in the midst of important growth
8. @nedratawwab – Nedra is a 2x’s NYT bestseller and relationship & boundaries expert
9. @estherperelofficial – Psychotherapist, NYT bestseller, and host of the #WhereShouldWeBegin podcast
10. @goodnews_movement – A journalist-run instagram account sharing good news only
11. @zivameditation – Reduce stress, ease anxiety & improve sleep in 15 days (or less)✨
12. @gabbybernstein – Host of the Dear Gabby Podcast and a NYT bestseller
13. @rupikaur_ – A poet with uplifting, empowering words for women
14. @momfully.you – Helping working moms heal trauma responses